Earthquaker Devices Hizumitas Fuzz Sustainar
The Hizumitas was designed for the one and only guitar sorceress, Wata, from the legendary band, Boris! We could not be more excited to have the honor of working with such an iconic legend known for her crushing riffs and mind-melting leads. The Hizumitas is a faithful sonic recreation of her go-to distortion which has been a staple of her tone for many years: the Elk BM Sustainar.
The Elk Sustainar is a Japanese variant of the more well-known “Triangle” BMP. During development, we used several vintage models of the BMP, as well as a few different versions of the Elk, and quickly realized all of them were wildly different. The only way we were going to truly capture the magic was to get our hands on her original pedal. Wata was kind enough to send her beloved pedal halfway across the world so we could see what made it tick. Right away, we realized it had something special that none of the others had - heavy saturation with a gritty edge and a massive bottom while still maintaining a clear and dynamic tone with enough mids and top end to cut through the sludge. We set out to faithfully recreate all these characteristics in the Hizumitas!
Faithful sonic recreation of Wata from Boris’ crushing go-to fuzz: the Elk BM Sustainar
- Offers loads of heavy distortion and smooth sustain with an underlying grit
- Excellent response to different pickup types and playing dynamics
- Unique Tone and Sustain controls greatly impact the distortion’s character
- Offers plenty of output Volume - unity is around 9-10 o’clock; everything above that is set to destroy
- All-analog signal path
- True bypass
- Silent relay-based switching
- Lifetime warranty
- Current Draw: 10 mA
- Input Impedance: ≈150 kΩ
- Output Impedance: <10 kΩ
- Dimensions: 4.75 x 2.50 x 2.25 in. (121 x 64 x 57 mm) with knobs