Subharmonicon is a semi-modular polyrhythmic analog synthesizer that employs a 6-tone sound engine and multi-layered sequencers to explore the world of subharmonics, polyrhythms, and the unique relationships they create.
Subharmonicon’s characteristic sound starts with two analog VCOs and four Subharmonic Oscillators for a total of six powerful sound sources. Each subharmonic tone is mathematically derived from one of the two main VCOs, giving the resulting chord shapes a beautifully coherent quality. Onboard quantization lets you dial in perfect intervals every time with selections for multiple tuning systems. Choose from contemporary Equal Temperament settings, the heavenly intervals of Just Intonation, or the unlimited freedom of no quantization at all.
Animating Subharmonicon’s distinctive chord shapes is done through a polyrhythmic pair of 4-Step Sequencers. Each sequencer is clocked by any or all of four Rhythm Generators that output mathematical divisions of the master tempo. Layer multiple Rhythm Generators on top of each other to create complex polyrhythms and discover inspiring new patterns and styles. Delve into Subharmonicon’s dual Envelope Generators, Moog Ladder Filter, and analog VCA to call up dynamic articulations ranging from lush pads and blurred edges to percussive plosives and ritualistic rhythms.
Although no patching is required to start creating, exploring Subharmonicon’s modular patchbay unlocks worlds of possibilities as you make novel connections and plug into new ideas. The 32-point 3.5mm patchbay can be patched into itself, expanding Subharmonicon’s onboard capabilities, or interfaced with Mother-32, DFAM, and other external Eurorack-compatible gear (MIDI Type A adapter included for DIN to 3.5mm MIDI input). Use as a standalone synth with included +12V DC power supply or simply remove the front panel to install into any Eurorack system.
The Moog Subharmonicon is a versatile analog labyrinth of subharmonically derived synthesis and polyrhythmic sound, equally suited for losing oneself and simultaneously finding oneself.
- Subharmonicon is a semi-modular polyrhythmic analog synthesizer designed for the exploration of sequences that unfold and evolve over time, spiraling through 6-tone subharmonic chords and organic polyrhythms.
- Subharmonicon is capable of complex sounds and patterns, yet is incredibly simple to use.
- With 2x VCOs, 4x Subharmonic Oscillators, 2x 4-Step Sequencers, and 4x Rhythm Generators, Subharmonicon creates a rich harmonic kaleidoscope that divides into itself until everything that is up becomes down.
- Subharmonicon’s unique approach to music-making is inspired by the innovative ideas on electronic instruments and experimental music that emerged during the 1930s and 1940s.
- Combining music and math, these early avant-algorithmic concepts laid a foundation for our modern exploratory practices.